Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Week 4 - Free Response - Hey, hey, hey...goodbye!

Image from: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Kissing_the_War_Goodbye.jpg

This could be the most anticipated blog of the year for me. It is the start of the end. The end of a year at school, the end of my role as a teacher and most importantly, the end of my journey at Full Sail. In many ways, I can not believe that a whole year has already gone by and that this experience, which seemed to begin only yesterday, is almost over. What started out as simply a process to "move-up" the salary ladder has now created a whole new direction for me and my life. Because of Full Sail I have been hired as a full time Technology Director and am now planning on continuing my education in pursuit of a Ph.D/E.d.D. This will ultimately be determined once Full Sail decides to either offer such a program or completes the accreditation process so I can continue my studies somewhere else. However, I am very much hoping that the school considers offering a doctoral program as I have grown very accustom to the teaching and learning style that Full Sail operates under.

While I am ecstatic that this process is almost over, I am also very sad to be parting with such a wonderful group of instructors and classmates. I have made so many friends and connections that I hope will last a lifetime, but just like high school, there is always the fear that communication will be lost and little will be heard from any of these dear friends I have made. Hopefully I will see and finally meet in person all of my peers and faculty members as I plan on attending graduation in July.  Unlike any other graduation, this one is very special for me. It will be the first in which I am financially responsible for the burden of my education and it will also be the first in which I excelled in a program. I was never a scholar and as little as GPA means in real learning, I have the opportunity to complete my studies with a 3.98. I never in my lifetime would imagine a day when I would be near the top of my class and graduating with two course director awards. Especially in such a talented pool of individuals who seem to defy the very idea that technology in education isn't thriving or needed.

Finally, it seems only fitting that on the weekend in which fireworks will fly around the country, me an 80 other fine students will be taking that one last step in a monumental event in which we all can proudly call ourselves alumnus of Full Sail University.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Nick! Two Course Director's Awards! Bravo! You are very talented and a natural in that "Crush" role! I would love to see what else you have been up to. Amazing how this course of study has propelled so many of us to new things. I will be moving to HS Digital Design in the Fall, with a New Tech High School, just opening in our district. Good luck with your continuing studies, and I hope to keep in touch.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your feelings about the start of the end! This Full Sail experience has been an amazing learning experience, and one that will continue to affect my life and future teaching. The classmates and teachers have helped me in so many ways, and you are one of the special ones that has added joy to this journey of education. I'm so glad your time here has been especially rewarding with the two course director's awards. They were well deserved. Congrats, and if there is any way for me to get to graduation, I will see you there!!

    ReplyDelete