Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week 3 - Reading - Lighting a Spark!



This week I am going to focus on the ninth practice in Benjamin Zander's book, The Art of Possibility. In this chapter, he discuss the idea of enrollment and the "practice of generating a spark of  possibility for others to share." Zander offers the following as a guide for practicing enrollment and "about playing together as partners in a field of light."

  1. Imagine people are an invitation for enrollment.
  2. Stand ready to participate, willing to be moved and inspired.
  3. Offer that which lights you up.
  4. Have no doubt that others are eager to catch the spark.
I do not believe there is any better guide that could be used as a template for every teacher in the world. Yes this can be applied to business and life, but in the role of the teacher, imagine the result if we approached every interaction with our students in this manner. Often times we give in to the labels given to our schools, students and administration. We believe that they are not capable of more or if they were, we can not bring it out of them. We make excuses for why things are bad and how they could be better, but step off the the side when it is time to "step up to the plate". Yet, if we simply insisted that every interaction with our students was an opportunity to ignite a moment of enrollment, where would we end up? I imagine our students would rise up and begin to appreciate every interaction with their teachers. Which in turn would lead to students more engaged in the learning experience.


Reference:

Zander, R. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility: Transforming professional and personal life. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

5 comments:

  1. Dr. Zander is phenomenal. I really enjoyed the video. I also liked the number "4. Have no doubt that others are eager to catch the spark." My problem is that I don't believe that others care about what I do and how I think. I tried to listen to students' voice but sometimes, I listen to the lazy and outspoken students and I modify the lesson. I thought it was helping them. However, there were many other quiet kids with inner motivation to learn the harder lesson. I should have believed that students are motivated than I think they are and should challenge them. Few negative words should not impact the whole lesson too much. That's my dilemma to balance between highly motivated students and barely motivated students. Nonetheless, there are a lot more kids who wants to learn with challenge than kids who just want to pass.

    ReplyDelete