Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Week 1 - Response to Ashley Burch

Ashley Wrote:
Well EMDT has gone by very fast. I can’t believe there is less than two months before graduation. The one thing that has been foreboding thus far is the Action Research Project. I have been so nervous about putting everything together. It’s all there, just not organized. I lack some very pertinent organizational skills. It’s the art teacher curse, right brain thinkers. Ok, it’s mostly just me. The literature review has taken more time than I anticipated. I originally wanted to explore student motivation with student personal interests. It wasn’t successful due to the middle school age group. It’s an age group that is full of wonder and excitement, yet they don’t know who they are. They are at the exploring phase, finding out what they like and don’t like, what’s cool and not cool. It’s a difficult time for this age group.

That being said, I changed the focus to a regional event art competition that prepares students for high school and the state level art competition. The competition is called the Junior Visual Arts Scholastic Event.

Cycle 1 just gave me a basis as to what their final art piece should be. It wasn’t intended to do so, but I used that information to get them to the place they needed to be by May 1, 2010. Then, by cycle 2, they had an idea of what original art meant. They were prepared for the Junior Visual Arts Scholastic Event by creating original artwork and posting comments on flickr. This made students more conscious of peer to peer feedback for critiques.

The AR Status Report is keeping me in check as I have to get everything organized by tomorrow. The pages on the AR page are placeholders, and it has been a challenge to get it all filled in with detailed analysis. The work is done and I can’t wait til the final presentation!

Image: Creative Commons

My Response:
I know exactly how you feel. I too began with a different idea for my action research project and changed not only once but twice. I have had the pleasure of working with you during this process and think that you have shown some real courage in the ability to adapt to your environment. Being able to realize that your project isn't suiting the needs of your students and making a change is a huge step. I think you handled this really well and found a way to integrate, not only technology, but also a very crucial step in art. The ability to communicate and provide feedback. Getting this critical thinking skill at such a young age is going to benefit these students down the road immensely.

Knowing you, I am sure you feel a sense of disappointment. But you have to stop and take a look at the great accomplishment you have made this year. Not only have you balanced an insane schedule, but you have also found a very cool way to prepare your students for the next level. Be proud of these little victories and celebrate them.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I don't know if I would have made it without you on iChat telling me to not give up and keep working. And your AR is going great! You have your site pretty much done and it looks amazing. Almost there Nick!

    ReplyDelete