Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 2 - Response to Christen Kauffman

I can not hardly believe we are working on the summary page of our action research projects. It feels like just a couple months ago I was scrounging for an idea, and now it is all almost said and done with. It is interesting to look back now and see the kinds of things I would have changed if I knew then, what I know now. One big idea I have had recently is to incorporate individual learning through online courses created by me using tools like Udutu. LMO gave me a run for my money, but it also gave me one of the most profound tools I have found in the program. Next year I will be implementing a series of online courses at the beginning of the year, highlighting things that students will need to know how to do on the computer throughout the year.

In a way I will be doing another round of action research. One of the most important things that this action research project has taught me is to not let procrastination run your work. I am a life-long procrastinator who likes to use excuses like, “The pressure to finish makes me do better.” Yeah I know, that’s crazy and probably just an excuse. I found myself pushing things to the back-burner then panicking that I wouldn’t have enough time to finish. I was thankful for the fact that our first website check-in was due at the beginning of the month as it pushed me out of that procrastination phase.

Even with battling my procrastination, I am happy to see that my AR project is wrapping up nicely. Many of my initial hypothesis are proving accurate in some way or another. It isn’t being right that has me excited though, but what being right means for my students. It is has been so exciting to see some of them coming out of their shells! This is a great way to conclude both the AR project and the school year.

My Response:

I couldn't agree more with your statement about "the kinds of things I would have changed if I knew then, what I know now." I actually spent several months changing my ideas and talking with Roxanne about how hard it was to be excited about my project when each month we learn a new tool that could be valuable in our research. This was extremely apparent when we came to LMO and like you, I wish I would have had this class earlier in the year. I think having the knowledge about CMS/LMS and tool like Udutu, could have made a huge difference in the presentation of our cycles.

Like you, I too am a life long procrastinator. I love the pressure I feel in my chest it's down to the wire and you have to get things done. I really needed this month to force me to wrap up all the work we have done in our project. I too kept pushing everything to the back burner and focused more on our classwork rather then the project.

Congratulations on finalizing and wrapping up your AR project. It has been a pleasure to be in classes with you and to get your insight on topics throughout the program. I wish you nothing but success as you move forward in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment