Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 2 - Response to Lina Varley

Lina Varley Said:
[Video]
As graduation quickly approaches, I can’t help but be inspired by the words of Steve Jobs as he shares his story with Stanford University graduates. Everything in our lives truly happens for a reason and I am excited to see what will come of the investment we have all made this year.

Much like Mr. Jobs’ biological mother, my parents were adamant about the importance of education in my life. The words still play in my head, “Money and possessions may be lost or stolen, looks will fade with time, but knowledge will always be yours.” I think one thing missing in those words was creativity. Our capacity to create and imagine yields amazing results. Seeing the work of my peers and being able to have a glimpse of where the future of education is going has been a gift.

My Response:

This is truly one of my favorite videos. Not only is it from one of my favorite people, Steve Jobs, but it is also such a motivating speech. While the words he speaks are inspirational and should be heard by every student, parent and being, it was your writing that really got me thinking. Your quote, "Money and possessions may be lost or stolen, looks will fade with time, but knowledge will always be yours" brought me back to the days when my dad would say something similar. Not as poetic, my father would remind me of the very same thing as your parents. I never really knew what he meant, but get it now. I was very lucky in the fact that my dad paid my way through college and made it so I never really had to struggle. I took advantage of this and spent a solid 6 1/2 years getting through a pretty easy state school. I contemplated dropping out of school several times but remembered that wasn't want my dad was sacrificing for. Even until recently, I really didn't understand why he was so persistant about me finishing school. I hated school, but he understood what it meant to have that piece of paper and the doors it could open. Without his support and dedication to my success, I wouldn't be here today. It is because of parents like ours that we owe our success. Thank you for reminding me why we are working so hard today. Your parents should be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment