Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Publishing/Leadership project part 3 of 3 - A decision has been made


Image from: http://www.springerlink.com/content/119978/cover-medium.jpg

Today I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. First off, I have finally finished my article and after much debate and research, I have chosen to submit my article to Tech Trends, a peer reviewed journal focusing on technology integration in education and training. In the beginning I was looking into larger publications like Edutopia, but ultimately I felt that my article needed to be submitted to a journal for proper review. While Edutopia is popular, it just didn't seem fitting to an article so deep in research.

With that said, I still have some areas that I have marked down to focus on within my article. First, I have to create an abstract at the beginning of the article. I have never written one before and am looking into examples of how to write an affective abstract. The next area that I want to review is my results and conclusion section. Right now both of these seem a little weak and need more focus on future development. Finally, I also need to figure out what images I should include in my article submission. Since I did not have a ton of people respond to my survey, the charts and data appear weak. While the images of the students working on their projects are great, I don't know if they fit. I am hoping that my wimba session with my peers will help answer some of these questions and help me create a final article that has a chance of publication.

* UPDATE
Last night I had my wimba session with my peers and instructors. They provided some very insightful information that I believe may help my article get published. One of the best bits of information they provided was that of including my future/cycle 3 work. In talking about what will happen beyond Full Sail, many of my peers felt I should add this to my paper and I think it has made a huge difference. Our instructor also gave me some really good advice on how to write an affective abstract and I even had a few comments on grammer issues to fix. The area that I still need some work on are the images to be included in the article. I have added three thus far and know of at least one more that will be added but is at school on my work computer. I believe the images I have added show some of the experiences the students and teachers have gone through, but unfortunately, I did not take any images from the training portion of my cycles. However, I am considering taking some screen shoots from the videos created by the teachers in one of my cycles and adding that as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Adding screen shots of the videos sound great Nick! I think your presentation went really well and kudos to you for asking us questions. It is a huge relief to be done with the presentation and article. I’m feeling that much closer to freedom. I did find this site for the abstract if you are still struggling with that. http://www.shvoong.com/internet-and-technologies/websites/1762073-write-abstract/.

    Some key things I picked up on were:

    When you write an abstract you have to answer the following questions: -Why did you do this study or project?
    –What did you do and how?
    –What did you find?
    –What do your findings means?
    You have to answer these questions in 100-250 words. You need to be specific about the topic.

    I think you have done a great job this year and you have helped me more than you know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete