Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 2 - AR Project

This week marks the end of one of the most challenging experiences I have ever faced. For the past nine months I have battled this horrible desease known as my action research project. While I am not completely satisfied with the end product of my project, I am ecstatic that it is finally completed.

From the start I struggled with this project. I changed my essential question/problem three times and ended up re-writing my literature twice. Thanks to the guidance of Roxanne, I ended up arriving at my essential goal of training teachers how to implement technology into their lesson plans. However, as I later learned from my literature review, I went about implementing in the wrong way. I did everything that you shouldn't do when trying to use professional development to help teachers integrate technology into their lesson plans. One of the reasons for this error was that I changed my literature after I was into my cycles. Having this information ahead of time, I would have reshaped the way my cycles were implemented.

Even though my cycles were done incorrectly, it still validated what my literature suggested and taught me a lot about professional development. However, one of the greatest outcomes of this experience was the fact that I have no moved into a different role at my school. Actually, it is a role I hold now, Director of Technology, but I am finally going to be given the opportunity to focus 100% of my time on the position. Currently I teach, oversee the school network and hold the tech position. Next year, while I will still have one class before school, I will finally have someone under me maintaining the network and I can focus on technology integration at the school.

In the end, even though my research project was a flop, I owe my current success at school to the process of undergoing the mind numbing pain I experienced over the past nine months. My administration saw a real need for my position to be full time and have the confidence in my to be a real change.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Actually, there are no failures in AR, the data just pointed in an unanticipated direction and we'd all do well to go with the facts presented in the data. We might have been mistaken in our assumptions when we began, but there are no outright failure, just unexpected answers. And in your case, it shock things up enough for you to move forward in your career. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete