Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

BP6_20091010_Web_2.0_Tools_popscreen.com


How many times have you found a riveting video on youtube.com and want to share it with your class or fellow teachers? What would you normaly do to share this new knowledge? If you are like me, you probably copy the url, create a new email message, send an email to yourself or your peers and if you can remember, bookmark the video for future use. Inevitably, after you send the email with the link, it gets lost for ever in your sent mail. Teachers come back and ask you if you can resend the video from months ago or even worse, you loose track of it and end up trying to research for the same video and never find it again. Today I found a tool that helps elevate some of the stress associated with bookmarking videos you find on the web.

Popscreen.com is s a way to bookmark your favorite videos found on my popular video sites including all of these sources. Currently, popscreen is in private beta which means you must be invited to join the site. So without having the ability to test out all of its features, the following is what the site claims can be done.

As a user, the huge advantage of popscreen is the ability to bookmark your favorite shows or webcast from many sites into one online location. After you have booked marked your videos, they are then all attached to your account and stored into one location. This removes the problem of having to go back and search for that great video you watched a couple of months ago. Popscreen also has a feature to allow you to share videos amongst colleagues and friends effortlessly. They also provide a feature that allows you to forward an email you receive from a colleague referencing a video and they will attach it to your account.

You may be asking yourself, self how can I use this in my classroom? Again, if you are anything like me, I utilize some of the great videos that are found on youtube daily. My biggest problem is that I always forget to save the url or bookmark the url for future use. This service would definitely help someone like me manage all of the rich media that is available for free online.

For all the positives that popscreen.com offers, the only negative I can see at this moment is that it is in private beta.

Image Provided by:
http://www.popscreen.com/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nick!
    I like this idea of having all my videos in one place. I have the problem of bookmarking a video on my home computer and then having to transfer it to my school computer in which I also forget where I have saved it on my home computer in the first place, so I eventually have to search for it again on my school computer. I’m more of a mess than you are. This would be a great help to me if I had more organization.

    I agree that the only negative is the private beta. I went ahead and put in my email address and was sent an invitation to join Popscreen. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the info!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really useful site. I haven't used many videos in my classroom but I really should try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for ways to get more organized, and I think Popscreen sounds like a very useful tool to bookmark videos. I would use this for my classroom and also at home for my children and myself. Thanks for sharing this! Your write-up is easy to follow and offers good details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great thing on friday I had that very issue looking for a song that i had used in a lesson last year for my principal. He wanted me to do the lesson for the parents and I could not find it this one rings home for me please send me the invite for this beta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Will be checking into this one!

    ReplyDelete