Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

BP14_20091018_Response_Blog

Below is a post and my comment to Ashley about a great website she found called NGAkids Still Life.

Nick La Fountain said...
Ashley, thanks for sharing this site with us. I am definitely going to use this site in my digital art class. I can see it as a great tool to introduce them [to] still life's and the principles associated with the lesson.

"Creating a Still Life is one of the very first lessons I have my students do because it shows them the basics for creating any work of art through shape, proportion, color, arrangement, and all the elements of art. It is very difficult to get my students interested in drawing or painting a Still Life, yet I know it is necessary for them to learn this. I have tried live fruit, and something always happens to these objects as they get handled by several classes a day and end up rotting or in the trash. Fake fruit has worked, yet also somehow goes missing or dented in the process. I think my students would very much enjoy creating their own Still Life online in a quick and simple way.

The next Web 2.0 tool that I would very much like to use in my art class is NGAkids Still Life. This tool contains a Composer in which students can choose what items to add to their still life via a menu under the screen. It starts with a template of an apple and table. These items can be removed and replaced with anything from the menu. The menu includes small wooden animals and people, apples, vases, books, bowls, fabrics, flowers, fruit, mirrors, papers, shells, tables, and the background wall. All of these items can be manipulated and moved around to create any Still Life.


Once the student has created a still life, the student may switch over to Painter. Through Painter, students have the option of choosing a painting style on the left side, then applying it to the Still Life. There is also an option to save the painting when completed.

The website, http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/stilllife.htm, also contains a slideshow of the famous works that inspired the program along with a checklist of which artists created which paintings. An entire Art History lesson could be formed from this program.

Like Photo Op, the option to save and continue working after the browser has been closed is not there. My students would then probably have to print their work before the class is over and start anew the next day. However, I think I would have them use this Web 2.0 tool to get the idea of what a Still Life is and how to paint one. Once they print a design, they can then use actual paint and canvas to create their very own Still Life painting. They results may turn out much better this way.

Images taken from http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/stilllife.htm"

No comments:

Post a Comment